A vibrant place of opportunity
From rugged ochre landscapes, to bustling townships, and to the sparkling waters of the Gulf of Carpentaria, our region is not only a place of natural beauty it is home to resilient communities, businesses and industries.
Situated in the north west corner of Queensland, the Northern Territory and northern coastline form part of our border. The NWQROC region covers more than 30.5 million hectares with the main industries including agriculture, mining and tourism.
Around 29,000 people call our region home – that equates to around 1000 hectares per person!
(Source: ABC Data by Regions, May 2018)
Our member councils
Burke Shire Council
Burke Shire the most far North West council in the NWQROC region, situated on the Gulf of Carpentaria, adjoining the Northern Territory border.
Carpentaria Shire Council
Carpentaria Shire is the north eastern most council area in the NWQROC region, stretching along the coastline of its namesake, the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Cloncurry Shire Council
Cloncurry Shire, covers an area of 48,112 km2 with its central administration hub in the town of Cloncurry.
Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council
Covering an area of 186,300 hectares Doomadgee is surrounded by Burke Shire, and is approximately north west of Burketown and 130 km east of the Northern Territory border. It is 630 km by road to Mount Isa and 1035 km west of Cairns on the east Queensland coast.
Flinders Shire Council
Flinders Shire covers 41,632km2, with a population of 1569 residents. The shire encompasses the communities of Hughenden, Prairie, Torrens Creek and Stamford.
McKinlay Shire Council
McKinlay Shire’s administrative centre is Julia Creek, and is crossed by the Matilda, Flinders and Landsborough Highways.
Mount Isa City Council
The city of Mount Isa is the largest centre of the North West Queensland region and is affectionately known as the ‘oasis of the outback‘.
Richmond Shire Council
Richmond Shire covers an area of 26 602.3 km2 with its administrative centre, the town of Richmond, situated on the southern banks of the Queensland’s longest river, the Flinders.