At the heart of the North West
Cloncurry Shire, covers an area of 48,112 km2 with its central administration hub in the town of Cloncurry.
It is named after the Cloncurry River, which was named by Robert Burke (of the Burke and Wills) during their 1861 expedition, after his cousin, Lady Elizabeth Cloncurry of County Galway, Ireland.
Cloncurry, or ‘The Curry, as it is affectionately known by locals, is most famous for being the birthplace of the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS). It is also home to the original Qantas hangar where the first passenger flew from Longreach to Cloncurry in 1922. Some say that Qantas was conceived in Winton, born in Cloncurry and grew up in Longreach, so all three towns played a massive part in the Australian icon's development.
The traditional owners of the region are the Mitakoodi, Kalkadoon and Pitta Pitta Aboriginal people.
Mining plays a significant role in the town's economy with some of Australia's largest copper deposits in the region.