Cloncurry Shire Council
The Cloncurry Shire is not immune to natural disasters. Whilst these types of events are not common we cannot afford to become complacent.
Council ensures a safe, effective and efficient response to a disaster events with its coordinated disaster management arrangements at all levels of government.
Take a look below at information for Cloncurry Shire.
stay connected & know WHAT’S HAPPENING IN CLONCURRY SHIRe
Council Preparation and responses
- Council provides advice to all township residents of when activities will be taking place on its Facebook page and Public Notices section on the council website. You can also subscribe to council’s newsletter. Activities can include community updates or hard waste collection to remove any loose or dangerous items prior to storm season.
- Council, working through the Local Disaster Management Group, is prepared to lead a disaster response and will provide updates and advice to the community including its website and Facebook page.
- Follow council’s Facebook page, take a look at the council’s website for regular updates - council will provide information which can include event status, road condition reports, alerts and responses such as evacuations.
- Listen to ABC radio and/or television for updates.
- Listen for messages and warnings on landlines or mobiles that may be provided through Emergency Alert.
- Check weather warning and status updates on the Bureau of Meteorology website.
- Act quickly on instruction and advice given by council and other authorities.
- Check with emergency authorities (such as Rural Fire and Emergency Services) updates – see our GET INFORMED page for a detailed list.
For the latest road condition reports and closures visit the Cloncurry Shire Road Conditions webpage.
Council also connects to the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads for updates about road conditions in our region. This information is available at the Qld Traffic website or call 13 19 40.
Cloncurry Shire Council Disaster Management plan
The Cloncurry Shire Local Disaster Management Plan details the disaster management arrangements for the area, and outlines the roles and responsibilities of the various agencies involved in disaster management. In accordance with the Local Disaster Management Plan, Council have also implemented an Evacuation Plan.
Council has published a Disaster Recovery page on its website with particular focus on the monsoon flood event from early 2019.