Flinders Shire Council
From floods to storms to fires, Flinders Shire Council is prepared to lead its community in the face of natural disasters. Council has developed a Disaster Management Plan that outlines the responsibilities and actions to be undertaken in responding to a natural disaster.
Flinders Shire maintains an online Disaster Dashboard that provides live updates relevant to the region.
Council ensures a safe, effective and efficient response to a disaster events with its coordinated disaster management arrangements at all levels of government.
STAY CONNECTED & KNOW WHAT’S HAPPENING IN flinders SHIRE
Council preparation and responses
- Council advises when activities will be taking place on its Facebook page and on its website, you can also subscribe to council’s newsletter. Activities can include community updates on roadworks or hard waste collection to remove any loose or dangerous items prior to storm season.
- Council, working through the Local Disaster Management Group, is prepared to lead a disaster response and will provide updates and advice to the community including its website and Facebook page.
Stay up-to-date with the latest road conditions, weather updates, and emergency news via Council's Disaster Dashboard.
- Follow council’s Facebook page, take a look at the council’s website for Disaster Information and any updates - council will provide information which can include event status, road condition reports, alerts and responses such as evacuations.
- Listen to ABC radio and/or television for updates.
- Listen for messages and warnings on landlines or mobiles that may be provided through Emergency Alert.
- Check weather warning and status updates on the Bureau of Meteorology website.
- Act quickly on instruction and advice given by council and other authorities.
- Check with emergency authorities (such as Rural Fire and Emergency Services) updates – see our GET INFORMED page for a detailed list.
Roads and flood cameras
For the latest road condition reports, closures and camera feeds of roads and river levels visit the Flinders Shire Council website.
Council also connects to the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads for updates about road conditions in our region. This information is available at the Qld Traffic website or call 13 19 40.
Flinders Shire Council Disaster management plan
The Flinders Shire Local Disaster Management Plan details the disaster management arrangements for the area, and outlines the roles and responsibilities of the various agencies involved in disaster management. In accordance with the Local Disaster Management Plan, Council have also implemented an Evacuation Plan.
Local community connections
- ABC North West Queensland - 1485 AM
- Visit Hughenden www.visithughenden.com.au
- Visit Hughenden - Flinders Discovery Centre Facebook
See further contacts and resources on the GET INFORMED page.
Flinders Shire Council proudly represents the communities of Hughenden, Prairie, Torrens Creek and Stamford.