McKinlay Shire Council
The McKinlay Shire community has stepped up the challenge in emergencies and times of natural disaster. McKinlay Shire Council has the primary responsibility for managing the impacts of disasters and emergencies within its boundaries.
The McKinlay Shire Council Disaster Management Plan outlines its disaster management system roles and responsibilities, and provides a framework of sub-plans for the most likely threats, and for the recovery phase following an event.
Find more information on McKinlay Shire below.
STAY CONNECTED & KNOW WHAT’S HAPPENING IN Mckinlay SHIRE
Council preparation and responses
- Council advises when activities will be taking place on its Facebook page and on its website. Activities can include community updates on road works or hard waste collection to remove any loose or dangerous items prior to storm season.
- Council, working through the Local Disaster Management Group, is prepared to lead a disaster response and will provide updates and advice to the community including its website and Facebook page.
- Follow council’s Facebook page, take a look at the council’s Disaster Information on its website or subscribe to council’s newsletter - council will provide information which can include event status, road condition reports, alerts and responses such as evacuations.
- Listen to ABC radio and/or television for updates.
- Listen for messages and warnings on landlines or mobiles that may be provided through Emergency Alert.
- Check weather warning and status updates on the Bureau of Meteorology website.
- Act quickly on instruction and advice given by council and other authorities.
- Check with emergency authorities (such as Rural Fire and Emergency Services) updates – see our GET INFORMED page for a detailed list.
Roads and flood cameras
Council also connects to the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads for updates about road conditions in our region. This information is available at the Qld Traffic website or call 13 19 40.
McKinlay Shire Council Disaster management plan
The McKinlay Shire Local Disaster Management Plan details the disaster management arrangements for the area, and outlines the roles and responsibilities of the various agencies involved in disaster management. In accordance with the Local Disaster Management Plan, Council have also implemented an Evacuation Plan.