Richmond Shire Council
Richmond Shire Council has been proactive over a number of years, and has undertaken disaster mitigation and natural disaster mitigation studies to assist us in preventing, preparing for, responding to and recovering from events, including severe storms, bush fires and natural disasters that may impact on our community.
Council’s Disaster Management Plan brings outlines the roles, responsibilities and actions, and assists our Local Disaster Management Group in dealing with events. The plan should be used by the community as a valuable resource to assist in your own planning and actions in the event of a disaster.
STAY CONNECTED & KNOW WHAT’S HAPPENING IN richmond SHIRE
Council preparation and responses
- Council advises when activities will be taking place on its Facebook page and on its website. Activities can include community updates on road works or hard waste collection to remove any loose or dangerous items prior to storm season.
- During weather events, council posts road condition reports, alerts and responses such as evacuations.
- Follow council’s Facebook page and visit council’s Disaster Information on its website - council will provide information which can include event status, road condition reports, alerts and responses such as evacuations.
- Listen to ABC radio and/or television for updates.
- Listen for messages and warnings on landlines or mobiles that may be provided through Emergency Alert.
- Check weather warning and status updates on the Bureau of Meteorology website.
- Act quickly on instruction and advice given by council and other authorities.
- Check with emergency authorities (such as Rural Fire and Emergency Services) updates – see our GET INFORMED page for a detailed list.
Roads and flood cameras
Council provides updates on road conditions and maintains several cameras in the region. Visit the Richmond Shire website for road condition reports and closures and flood camera feeds along roads in the council area.
For road closures phone the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 131 940 or visit their QLDTraffic website.
Richmond Shire Council Disaster management plan
The Richmond Shire Local Disaster Management Plan details the disaster management arrangements for the area, and outlines the roles and responsibilities of the various agencies involved in disaster management. In accordance with the Local Disaster Management Plan, Council have also implemented an Evacuation Plan.